Essential oils have long been a medicine cabinet mainstay. Here are the Top 10 every household should have.
Aromatherapy essential oils are oils extracted directly from the fruit, flower, nut, bark, leaves, root, or resin of a plant or tree. This produces a natural product totally different from the synthesized ingredients we experience in modern medicines and beauty products. Most of these tend to be the result of isolating a single element from the natural world and recreating it in a lab. The problem with this is that the hundreds and sometimes thousands of supporting elements are lost. Without them, the isolated element simply doesn’t work as well. Look for this label when choosing your essential oils.What makes essential oil so special is that with just one drop you can experience the entirety of the plant and with it, all the healing and beautifying powers it has to offer. Essential oils work to support the body’s own healing systems and with these wonderful plant essences in your medicine cabinet, many a trip to the doctor can be averted. But which ones are worth having around? Rose and Jasmine are both fantastically effective but are worth more than their weight in gold. Instead, I decided to pick oils that are both affordable and useful, so here goes, get ready for a whistle stop tour of the top 10 essential oils that you shouldn’t be without.
1. Lavender is one of the mainstays of aromatherapy, and is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and can dramatically reduce the amount of time that burns, cuts, bites and stings to heal. It’s also one of the only oils that can be applied neat. Lavender also has great value as an aid to relaxation and sleep. Studies have shown that after the inhalation of lavender, the left and right brain waves come into balance. A few drops in a bath to relax, or alternatively, a few drops on the pillow can help after a stressful day.
2. Lemon Say good-by to chemical cleaners and deodorizers. Just dilute Lemon essential oil in distilled water (2-10 drops per ounce, depending on the strength desired) and use as you would other cleaners for your kitchen counter tops. Lemon has a very uplifting aroma in addition to its gentle yet effective antimicrobial properties. Studies have shown increased test scores by students where Lemon was diffused during study. The uses for Lemon essential oil are extensive – a little research will help you incorporate this lovely, inexpensive essential oil into your life.
Lemon oil is also an effective household cleaner. Just add a few drops to a basin of warm water and use a cloth to wipe down areas of wood, tile, porcelain or even metal. This astringent oil will cut through grease and grime and leave your home smelling wonderful.
3. Sandalwood Sandalwood can be used to soothe and soothe and heal a sore throat. Just add a few drops to a glass of water and gargle morning and evening. It’s also renowned for its ability to dramatically increase moisture levels within the dermis, so is a wonderful tonic for dehydrated skins. Sandalwood is a gentle bactericide and its woody smell lends itself well to male grooming so it makes a great aftershave tonic, helping to preserve the integrity of the skin in the face of irritation caused by shaving.
4. Peppermint is wonderful for getting rid of an insect invasion without bringing toxic chemicals into your home. Just add a few drops to a basin of warm water and then use a cloth to wipe down all your surfaces. For humans, peppermint oil works as a mental stimulator and also a refrigerant, which means it can cool you down. Peppermint can also reduce feelings of nausea even in quite extreme cases. When blended with lavender and applied to the temples, peppermint oil can also alleviate headache and migraine.
5. Melaleuca or Tea Tree Oil – Perhaps the most commonly used natural antiseptic, Tea Tree oil is often used in place of iodine or anti-bacterial ointment for cuts and scrapes. To enhance its healing effect, a blend can be used with an equal part of Lavender essential oil for pain relief for the little ones. The antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral effects of Tea Tree are broad-reaching – other common ailments which can be supported through its use include nail fungus, Candida infection, acne and many more. A little research will lead you to the healing protocol best suited to your needs.
6. Birch and Wintergreen are the only plants in the world that naturally contain methyl salicylate. It is documented that these oils have cortisone-like effects that can relieve pain quickly. Birch and wintergreen were considered the best essential oils for pain before synthetics were made in the early 1920s. Both of these pain relieving oils are found in doTERRA’s Deep Blue. Deep Blue reduces inflammations and relieves Arthritic pain, Bruises, Carpel tunnel, Headaches, Inflammation, Joint pain, Migraine, Muscle pain, Sprains, Rheumatism.Apply topically with gentle massage directly to areas of discomfort and pain. This would include areas of inflammation, sprain, bruising, sore muscles, joints, arthritis, rheumatism, and carpel tunnel. Combine with warm compresses for best results. Relief for these issues can also be effective in a bath using 4-5 drops agitated in the water or using a dispersing agent.
7. Eucalyptus was and is used by the Aborigines for most maladies, ranging from cuts and scrapes to stomach complaints and migraines. It is indeed a powerful anti-spasmodic, anti-viral and anti-bacterial agent. When dealing with coughs or colds, add a few drops of eucalyptus to a basin of steaming water and inhale the steam. The steam will disinfect your nasal passages and lungs. Another way to use it is by adding a few drops of eucalyptus to a tissue and sniffing at regular intervals. If caught early enough, it can prevent a full cold from developing. Eucalyptus is found in doTERRA’s essential oil blend Breathe - Use this oil from respiratory infections, coughs, or asthma symptoms. Rub it on your chest to help combat congestion. Rub on chest and under your nostrils to help with snoring. Unlike other Vapor Rubs, Breathe will actually assist your body in fighting off the infection.
8. Frankincense -Probably the most valuable from the historic natural oils, frankincense is extremely desired by modern oil users because of its numerous uses, such as immune support, relaxation, and mood enhancement. This oil contains sesquiterpenes, enabling it to go beyond the blood-brain barrier. It may help oxygenate the pineal and pituitary glands. Many people belief it helps with anxiety and depression. Several studies have been done on Frankincense and its ability to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
9. Ginger This oil is incredibly warming and can increase circulation especially when blended with lemon. Ginger is also a powerful digestive aid, one of the reasons it is served with sushi. It’s also incredibly useful for arthritis sufferers, especially when blended with other detoxifying oils such as juniper. Ginger oil is traditionally used in the treatment of nausea, especially morning sickness in pregnant women. I use doTERRA’s essential oil blend Digest Zen. Digest Zen works for any digestive disorder: Acid Reflux, heartburn, H.Pylori Bacteria, diarrhea, Constipation, Diverticulitis, IBS, etc. Seventy percent of your immune function is through your GI so if you have a compromised GI you have a compromised immune system. Using DigestZen will help strengthen immune system. Take 4 drops of DigestZen with 2 drops of peppermint internally in an empty capsule or simply rub it on your stomach.
10. Cinnamon Cinnamon oil is distilled from the bark of a tropical evergreen tree native to Sri Lanka. The oil is a light brown liquid with a sweet, warm-spicy, dry powerful aroma. Cinnamon essential oil is considered a warming remedy, stimulating digestion and circulation, while supporting the immune system and relieving aches and pains.Cinnamon essential oil is highly anti-microbial and anti-bacterial for a great diversity of infectious bacteria. Studies have shown the strength of cinnamon bark oil to eliminate many forms of pathogenic organisms. Cinnamon essential oil has traditionally been used for fast relief of infections of the bladder and the digestive tract, as well as enzymatic deficiency in the gut.
doTERRA’s Essential Oil blend On Guard contains Cinnamon – This oil helps to strengthen your immune system. OnGuard has been scientifically proven to kill a viral infection within 48 hours. The US National Library of Medicine now shows that it is effective in suppressing the H1N1 virus. It has also been shown to kill 17 different strains of MRSA. This is great for disinfecting via a diffuser. Place 3 drops under your tongue daily, use 4 drops in a capsule with 4 drops of lemon oil, or rub on your feet every night for cold prevention.
*100% pure cinnamon essential oil – always use a carrier oil
To Learn more about purchasing doTERRA Essential Oils please visit my site www.mydoterra.com/discovernaturalhealing or simply send me an email email@example.com
I would love to share with you how I purchase my oils for 40% off the retail price.
Excerpts taken from the following sites: