This week we’re highlighting an essential oil that is often passed over but has powerful benefits and a lovely aroma: Patchouli oil. Many people don’t know it, but Patchouli oil has significant benefits for skin, oral health, the emotions, and more.
What Is Patchouli Essential Oil Good For?
Have you ever heard of Patchouli essential oil? Have you tried it? While this may seem like an obscure oil to some, it’s a treasure in the world of essential oils. A member of the mint family, patchouli has a rich, musky-sweet fragrance that is known to instill feelings of balance. The beloved aroma of patchouli has commonly been used in the perfume industry to add fragrance to products like laundry detergents and air fresheners. If you’ve never tried Patchouli oil, keep reading to see some of the best ways to use it and why you’ll want to add it to your oil collection.
Using Patchouli oil for skin
Because of its gentle cleansing properties, many people use Patchouli oil for skin. Using Patchouli essential oil topically can help promote a smooth, glowing complexion; not to mention, it’s also useful for reducing the appearance of blemishes, skin imperfections, and wrinkles.
How do you use Patchouli oil for skin?
- Add one to two drops to your moisturizer to help problem skin areas.
- Apply directly to reduce the appearance of blemishes or skin imperfections.
Using Patchouli oil for fresh breath
As part of the mint family, Patchouli essential oil can help give your breath a refreshed, clean feeling. Want to take advantage of this and enjoy a clean mouth and fresh breath? Try making this DIY essential oil mouth rinse:
Patchouli and Peppermint Mouth Rinse
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 drops Peppermint oil
- 1 drop Patchouli oil
- Combine the baking soda and water in a small cup.
- Add the essential oils and mix well.
- Swish mixture around in the mouth for one minute before spitting into the sink.
Using Patchouli oil to manage emotions
Rich in the chemical component patchoulol, Patchouli essential oil is known to have a grounding and harmonizing effect on the emotions. People love the uniquely sweet and musky scent of Patchouli oil and find it useful for balancing emotions amid feelings of stress or turmoil.
How do you use Patchouli oil to manage emotions?
- After a long day of work, apply one to two drops of Patchouli oil to the neck or temples.
- Diffuse Patchouli oil when you want to relieve feelings of tension.
- Combine Patchouli with Vetiver oil and apply to the bottoms of the feet to help calm emotions.
Are you ready to see what Patchouli oil can do for you? Don’t wait another day to try it!
Patchouli Essential Oil Product Description
For a powerful skin, aroma, and mood makeover, Patchouli oil proves an ideal essential oil. Extracted from the leaves of the Patchouli plant, Patchouli essential oil has many uses and benefits for both the mind and body. Patchouli oil contains a variety of skin benefits and can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, and skin imperfections. Patchouli essential oil can also promote a smooth and glowing complexion. The sweet and musky scent of Patchouli essential oil is often used in perfumes and colognes and can emit a natural musk when applied to the skin. The unique, herbaceous aroma of Patchouli essential oil is great for diffusing, and its rich chemical properties can have a grounding and balancing effect on emotions when used aromatically or topically.
Where to Buy Patchouli Oil
To buy a pure bottle of Patchouli, visit the Patchouli oil product page.
When purchasing essential oils, it is important to find oils that are pure. The purity of an essential oil determines how effective an essential oil can be. The less pure an essential oil is, the less effective it will be. Too often, essential oils that are on the market are not pure and contain contaminants and filler substances. These products limit an essential oil’s uses and benefits and reduce its power in fulfilling individual and family needs.
When doTERRA was founded, the Founders knew how powerful pure essential oils could be, and they set out with a mission to provide a pure grade of essential oils. Since their beginning, doTERRA has stayed true to this mission by making sure doTERRA oils are tested for purity through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. This protocol contains multiples tests that thoroughly examine each batch of essential oils to make sure that they are pure. If these oils are found pure, they are then readied to be sold so that individuals around the world can experience the full and powerful effects of pure essential oils.
Patchouli Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- Patchouli essential oil is rich with Patchoulol, a highly grounding chemical component. Because of this constituent, and others like it, Patchouli oil has a grounding and balancing effect on emotions. To obtain the mood-harmonizing properties of Patchouli, apply one to two drops of Patchouli to your neck or temples or place three to four drops of Patchouli essential oil in the diffuser of your choice.
- Don’t miss out on Patchouli essential oil’s incredible skin care benefits—make it part of your daily facial routine. For a smooth and glowing complexion, apply one to two drops of Patchouli essential oil to your face. You will love the results!
- For a simple and effective oral cleanse, try this DIY Patchouli and Peppermint mouth rinse. Combining two powerful oils from the mint family, this rinse will give your mouth a rejuvenating cleanse that will leave your breath with a fresh, clean feeling. Peppermint oil is commonly used for its abilities to freshen breath and will also give your mouth a minty taste. The Patchouli essential oil works hand-in-hand with the minty flavor of the Peppermint oil and will aid in deodorizing and freshening the mouth.
- Long hair definitely has its perks, but tangles are not one of them. Often, detangling wet hair can be time consuming and can even get a little painful. Make that tangled mess of hair a thing of the past with this DIY Natural Hair Detangler. Using a dynamic combination of essential oils, this hair detangler will cut down on the time spent with tangles and will decrease unnecessary stress on the scalp.
- Leave the stress of the day behind you by enjoying the grounding and energizing properties of Patchouli essential oil and Peppermint oil. After a long day of work, combine Patchouli essential oil with Peppermint oil and apply this blend to your forehead, temples, or to the back of the neck. Patchouli oil will help provide a grounding and stabilizing effect on emotions while the Peppermint will work to relieve feelings of tension.
- Patchouli is great for skincare and can be used frequently to enhance the appearance of skin. To best receive the skin benefits of Patchouli oil, add a few drops of Patchouli to your daily moisturizer or apply one to two drops of Patchouli essential oil directly to your skin. Using Patchouli essential oil will help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, or problem skin areas.
- Feeling a little frazzled? When your emotions start to overwhelm you, combine Patchouli with Vetiver essential oil and apply the oil blend to the bottoms of your feet. The emotionally grounding and balancing properties of Patchouli oil and Vetiver oil will help calm emotions.
- Patchouli oil has frequently been used in the perfume and cologne industries for its musky aroma. Create your own natural scent with this DIY Essential Cologne. For a sweet musk cologne, combine Patchouli essential oil (16 drops), Lime oil (32 drops), Fennel oil (24 drops), and doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil (280 drops). Patchouli can also be used to create a musky perfume and is easily transformed into a sweet-smelling aroma when combined with floral essential oils.
Patchouli essential oil comes from the patchouli plant, Pogostemon cablin, a bushy herb that is part of the mint family. The stems of the plant can reach two to three feet in height and bear tiny flowers that are pink and white in color. The patchouli plant also produces green leaves that are jagged along their edges. doTERRA Patchouli essential oil is extracted from the leaves of the patchouli plant.
Chemistry of Patchouli Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: Patchoulol, α-Bulnesene, α-Guaiene
The main chemical of Patchouli is Patchoulol. Patchoulol has a sesquiterpene backbone and is a member of the alcohols functional group. Patchoulol contains grounding properties, and because of these grounding properties, Patchouli essential oil has a grounding effect on the emotions. To learn more about the chemical components found in Patchouli or other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Patchouli Essential Oil
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.